Last Updated on
Sore Nipples Breastfeeding
Sore nipples breastfeeding is something that mothers experience, especially when they are nursing for long hours. Some women may even experience sore nipples during pregnancy, it is not very uncommon.
One of the most sensitive parts of the body are the breasts – so, it would not be a surprise if sore nipples breastfeeding happens. In this post, we will tackle the causes and some home remedies that can help you with sore nipples breastfeeding.
It is normal to experience sore nipples breastfeeding in the first couple of weeks. Your baby and you are still adjusting to the nursing. You also need to check on the latch and get used to the sting from time to time.
But, what if the sore nipples aren’t going away and there is no improvements? What do you do then?
Before we go any further with this discussion, let’s identify what causes sore nipples breastfeeding.
Causes for Sore Nipples Breastfeeding
Before we go on to solve the issue, it is important that we know what is causing the problem. It is important to learn the causes of sore nipples breastfeeding, and understand that it is crucial that you are educated on health issues like this.
- PMS (Pre-Menstrual Syndrome), hormonal; surprisingly, this really can be one of the possibilities. The nipples tend to become tender and sensitive. Even if breastfeeding may be used for birth control, if you are not always breastfeeding your baby, PMS could be the reason.
- Do not underestimate the pain of a baby’s latch. When the baby is not properly latched on to your breasts, it could be the reason you are having sore nipples breastfeeding.
Once you do learn how to properly latch your baby, the pain will be short-lived. It won’t last for more than several seconds.
- Unclean or tight clothes can be another factor that makes your nipples sore. When there is friction and not enough space for the skin to breathe, it becomes a sensitive part. There will be constant rubbing and possibly, sweating. This can cause the nipples to be vulnerable, resulting to sore nipples breastfeedings.
- Infections is another reason mothers should be alert about. There are certain times when the baby may not be sucking milk well, or your milk ducts are getting full because of overproduction of breast milk. These are factors that can be causing your sore nipples. Usually, the whole breast is sore. This is called engorgement.
Another factor may be mastitis, wherein the milk ducts get infected with bacteria and causes an inflammation. Mastitis can happen to women most of the time, this is because of breastfeeding. But, it is not impossible for men to have mastitis as well.
Home Remedies If You Have Sore Nipples Breastfeeding
- One of the most basic remedies of sore nipples breastfeeding is to apply fresh breast milk. This is because breast milk has antibacterial properties that can help sooth the soreness. It will always let your nipples soften and smoothen in the process.
- Apply a hot compress on your sore nipples. It will temporarily numb the pain and work as an antibacterial. It will always promote normal blood flow and breast milk flow in the breasts.
- Eat a proper diet that does not result in any allergic reactions or further itching of the sore nipples. The food we eat and the fluids we drink play a major role in health and body healing. Make sure to keep the food you eat in check.
- Educate yourself on proper latching and teach your baby how to properly latch onto your breasts. It is important to make sure you have properly latched your baby since it does cause sore nipples when they start sucking breast milk in an awkward position.
- What is a tongue-tie? It is when the baby cannot properly use their tongue to drink milk while breastfeeding. As a result, the baby will use the tongue to push the nipple up to their palate and further cause sore nipples. If you see these symptoms in your baby, set an appointment with your doctor. They will know exactly what needs to be done.
- You can consult with your doctor about your sore nipples. They may provide with ointments or antibiotics and painkillers that is safe for breastfeeding mothers and their babies.
What If Sore Nipples Breastfeeding is Not Getting Better?
There are some moments that will make you overthink that you may have breast cancer or a serious inflammation going on when you have sore nipples breastfeeding. Sometimes, it may be too sore that it will depress you and wear you out.
The best thing you can do at this point is to set an appointment with your doctor. It is important to make sure your health is always at the top of its game.
Sore nipples breastfeeding is normal. But, you do not have to nurse that, too. Make sure you visit your doctor as soon as possible.
We hope we have helped you address your concern with this post! Tell us what you think by commenting below. Keep shining!