Last Updated on
Breast Milk Storage Bags – What?
It is understandable that time is not what everyone always has. People have to work. People have errands to do. People will be occupied at some point in the day, in the week or in the month. That is why, when it comes to lactating mothers, ways are needed to store fresh and essential breast milk.
This is the moment breast milk storage bags come in. What are breast milk storage bags?
Breast milk storage bags are bags made for the proper storage and collection of breast milk. Ordinary plastic bags are not advisable and secure enough to be used for the storage of breast milk.
The breast milk storage bags are made of bisphenol A-free, food-grade plastic. This means the plastic used to make the breast milk storage bags are safe for the storage of breast milk. Why?
This is because bisphenol A is a substance that can mix with food and water, and create future problems to the health of people. Bisphenol A can be the cause for issues with the brain, psychological and behaviour issues and problems with the prostate gland of younger children in the long term.
It is important to always know what certain plastic is made of, as your health can be compromised in these situations. You won’t see the effects right away, but you eventually will if you do not create an aware of plastic usage in your life and in the lives of the people around you.
The Benefits of Using Breast Milk Storage Bags
We all know now the usage for breast milk storage bags. Thinking about it – they can be quite useful to breastfeeding mothers. Breast milk is very essential for the health of the babies. Here are more benefits we get out of using breast milk storage bags:
- Breast milk storage bags are very space-wise as they can be stored flat on the floor of the freezer. The more space you have, the more you can store and collect the needed breast milk for the baby.
- Compared to the storage portion of a breast milk storage bottle, the breast milk storage bags can store more breast milk. As mentioned earlier, it is also better than breast milk storage bottle because it can save more space inside the freezer.
- When the breast milk storage bags is stored inside the freezer, it is easier to thaw because of the quality of plastic it has. This is one of the reasons why mothers prefer to use the breast milk storage bags – it is because of how much time is saved using them.
- One of the best reasons why these breast milk storage bags are a must-have is the fact that they are disposable. You will not need to clean too much, sterilize again and wait for it to try. These breast milk storage bags are made disposable to store the breast milk.
The Disadvantages of Using Breast Milk Storage Bags
Well, we cannot always have everything perfectly. There are some disadvantages to using breast milk storage bags. This means we must always be aware and choose the right thing to do, especially in terms of the disposal of breast milk storage bags.
- The usage of breast milk storage bags are not very eco-friendly. The fact remains that breast milk storage bags are made of plastic, and plastic is better recycled than disposed of improperly.
Always keep in mind that the future looks better when garbage is disposed properly.
- The breast milk storage bags are easily scratched, torn or ripped. They are not as hard as other plastic storages or metal or glass. When the breast milk storage bags are damaged, no matter how small the damage may be, it could lead to contamination of the breast milk.
- It is important to know the quality of breast milk storage bags. While this may not always be the case for all the breast milk storage bags, heed this as a warning.
Know the quality of the breast milk storage bags, as some brands may easily tear. Other brands may actually be a messy storage and have leakage without cause. Asking for recommendations would be a good start to choosing the better brands.
How Long Can I Store Breast Milk in Storage Bags and How Long Do They Last?
When breast milk is freshly pumped into breast milk storage bags, you can store the breast milk for up to six months in the freezer.
It is important to remember that the storage duration of the breast milk in the storage bags may differ. The factors to consider in using breast milk storage bags is the temperature in which it is placed and the time it was exposed before fully stored.
Before exposing and opening the breast milk storage bags, make sure to consider the fact that you cannot freeze breast milk again. Once the storage bags have been opened and exposed, you cannot put it back in the freezer. There are only a few hours before the contamination is scattered – and this may also affect the other stored breast milk in the storage bags.
Make sure that in using breast milk storage bags in the first place, you only store the amount of breast milk you will need for the baby. Only store the breast milk with the ounces the baby can consume within the non-contamination period.
Are Breast Milk Storage Bags Reusable?
It is not a good idea to reuse breast milk storage bags. This is because of the fact that it is meant to be disposable. Some breast milk storage bags are also used over certain periods of time, and in that fact alone, it is still not safe to consider reusing the storage bags.
This may imply that it is as stated in the disadvantages of using breast milk storage bags, but it does have the essentiality and purpose to be used.
Where Can I Get Breast Milk Storage Bags?
In the using of breast milk storage bags, always remember that we should be responsible adults and role models by character to the younger generations. Let’s always segregate our disposables at all times.
Did you find this post to be useful? Please, let us know below! Keep smiling!